Sunday, September 8, 2013

Happy Birthday Mother Mary!!

Today, September 8, we Catholics remember and celebrate the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Besides St. John the Baptist, the Blessed Virgin is the only saint whose birthday we celebrate. Typically, we celebrate a saint around the date of his or her death.

For a bit of a spunky take on today's feast day, check out:
Widow's Weeds: 8 September - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

If you're looking for the "meat," try:
EWTN's article on the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary



I had butternut squash soup after one of my births too! 

This picture above is my favorite representation of the event of the birth of Mary. If you know me, you likely can already guess at least one reason why. I have birthed eight babies. I have assisted at the births of approximately 40 more. St. Ann actually looks like she has just given birth in this picture. She is not sitting up, hands folded, intently gazing at her baby. She is exhausted, sunken into her pillow, her legs barely coming together and bent, her arms protectively guarding her body. The Blessed Virgin was her first baby, so more likely than not, the birth was a lengthy event. She's not even looking at her baby; she's looking, well, at nothing in particular just absorbing the shock of what her body just did. Next to her is me a lovely doula-looking woman, someone who is there to assist her and is feeding St. Ann my famous butternut squash soup something to give her a little strength and nourishment. So there you go. I don't love this picture for anything having to do with the Mother in Heaven we celebrate today. I love it because I see myself in it. Twice. But seriously, this, to me, is the most realistic of all of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary pictures I have seen out there. It makes me want to "skidoo" right into it and take that spot on the other side of her bed and hold her hand.

So anyways, before I sign off here and take a look at the midwifery information I am supposed to be studying for tomorrow's study group, I want to wish all of you a happy celebration. If you didn't know this was your Mother's birthday, it's not too late to give her a rosary bouquet of prayers, or bring the celebration to your kids with a little cake and ice cream. One friend of mine said last year she set out her statue of the BVM and her children played their instruments in front of it. Today at Holy Mass we made a spiritual offering and will be celebrating with treats later.

Not Catholic? Afraid it'll take away from Jesus' glory? I don't think He'll mind if you celebrate the birth of His most perfect creation, the one who uttered the "Fiat" that would change all of history and allow Him to take on the flesh whose blood would be violently and lovingly shed for the forgiveness of your sins. He'd probably ask for seconds on your cake and ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment